Thursday, March 15, 2007

What To Do?

Here's the situation: We just ate dinner and Kristy took GK to the grocery store, leaving me nominally in charge of the other three kids. Today's temperature took a noticeably downward turn producing a slight chill in the air, yet our bedroom windows are still open from the glorious spring-like weather we've been experiencing the last week or so, and I'm in bed with the covers pulled up, keeping tabs on what's happening out there in blogville. I'm very comfortable, with a belly full of food, comforter up to my chin and warm glow off the monitor of the Apple G4 keeping me company.

My dilemma comes with the statement I just heard from the living room. S said, to whom I'm not sure, "Let's get lotioned up." I know what you're thinking, I'm thinking the same thing. Now, do I get out of bed to find out what's going on, or do I trust that they're not in there getting into too much mischief? And by "mischief" I mean "any activity which will get me into trouble when Big Mama returns." I could shout at them, sure, and ask what's going on, but there is a high probability that I will be ignored or, if answered, will get only a feckless "Nothing!" Remember, I'm very comfortable where I am.

I'm leaning towards just letting them get on with the lotioning up. What's the worse that could happen? Improbably soft skin? A lack of chafing among the children? The aroma of coconut wafting through the house? I'll find out soon enough what's up, I'm sure, when one or all of them comes slipping and sliding into my room to tell me to call Mom at the store because we are somehow out of lotion.