Monday, May 12, 2008

The Doctor is In

I was exhausted yesterday. I have no idea why, but I had to take a minute in the middle of the day to rest my eyes and then I was asleep earlier than normal last night.

But before I fell asleep, I was lying in bed reading a book and GK was crawling all over me like a spider monkey. I said to her, "Where is my thyroid?" (My family has half the functioning thyroids they were born with). She pointed immediately to my elbow.

"Is there anything wrong with it?" I said.

Without missing a beat, she answered, "Yes."

Now, she's not a doctor. In fact, she's only just begun studying for her MCATs. But I have a bit of the hypochondria and so when she answered so quickly and so confidently that yes, in fact, the thyroid in my elbow is deficient, I panicked a bit. I'll admit that.

GK is one smart, well-read two-year-old. And it is true that I'm feeling somewhat rundown and there is a history of hypo- and hyper-thyroidism in the genes.

And now that I think about it, my elbow does hurt a bit.