Monday, June 30, 2008

Warm Waters

When my sisters and I were kids, it seems like our mother made us take swim lessons about five different times. Perhaps we were slow learners.

Mom, if you had us take lessons so often because you were concerned for our safety around bodies of water, both large and small, then I thank you for your concern over our well-being.

If, on the other hand, you used it as a means to get some time away from us for a few hours a day, a few weeks per summer, then I applaud your resourcefulness as a parent. Well played, Elaine.

My three older kids began two weeks of swim lessons today at the Y. I feel like swimming is something I should be teaching them to do; to be cautious and to respect the water, but also to have fun. I just don't have the time.

So, instead, I'll be in charge of teaching them to shower every day, immediately after swimming in the big, urine-filled public pool.