Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Hammock

Did I tell you about the hammock? When we were in Statesboro, GA, last week we spent most of the days at my Uncle Aldo’s house around his pool and in the stifling heat. He had a hammock in the backyard that JP took a shine to. This hammock was much like Wonder Woman’s absurd “golden lasso” in that whenever JP was in it, he talked. And talked. And talked. JP is my quiet one, blessedly quiet. Yet he and I sat in that hammock for two hours one day while he told me all about the movie Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I know that movie backward and forward now. Not in order, mind you, but I know every scene and the gist of the plot. For the rest of the week he looked forward to our daily lounging in the hammock and he would plan the night before what movie he might tell me about. That movie usually ended up being Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, but that was okay with me because this was the longest stretch of time JP has ever talked to me. It was the highlight of his week and, I believe, of mine as well. Through my own stupidity, I managed to get sunburned on the first day in the pool and was uncomfortable and miserable the rest of the trip. This hammock was in full sun much of the day but I couldn’t let that dissuade me. I had to hear how a machine got Wallace dressed in the morning and how funny it is that Gromit is a dog that drinks coffee, and a dog without a mouth.

We had a great time seeing the family and spending time with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, but it may be these few hours of the week spent with JP that I’ll remember the most. Kristy has wanted a hammock for years and this may just get her her wish. All I need to do is find a spot in the backyard for it, under a shady tree, and preferably near an electrical outlet so we can relax and actually watch Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit together.